You can make a planning application yourself, or employ a local planning agent, architect or trade professional to help you. You can find information about professional bodies and trade associations on the Planning Portal.
After you have checked if you need planning permission and decided if you need pre-application advice, you can apply for planning permission.
When you apply for planning permission, you need to:
- submit the correct application form and supporting documents
- pay the correct planning application fee
- understand the planning application process
- find out how to appeal the planning decision
4. Find out how to appeal the planning decision
You can appeal a planning decision if you disagree with it, or we did not issue the decision within the specified timeframe.
Before you appeal, you should contact us so that we can explain why we made that decision.
The Planning Inspectorate deals with all appeals, and you need to lodge your appeal with them.
You can find more information about appealing a planning decision on GOV.UK.