The site promoter, Redrow Homes, has submitted its masterplan proposals for a new development on three sites, north and south of Maldon Road.
Masterplans are high level documents that set out the broad content of development. We use masterplans to help shape excellent places to live, work and enjoy.
Masterplans help to:
- show how a development relates to the existing site and surrounding area
- identify the location of access points and community facilities
- show which parts of the site will be built on and which parts will stay open
The masterplan must reflect our Local Plan, which stipulates the content of development on this site.
There are some key milestones during the process, such as:
- allocating the site for development through the Local Plan
- producing the masterplan
- submitting an outline planning application
- submitting a reserved matters planning application, which provides the finer detail of the proposals
The site promoter has now submitted a masterplan, reference 20/00003/MAS. We have labelled the sites in our new Local Plan as:
- “Strategic Growth Site 3b – East Chelmsford – Land North of Maldon Road (Employment)”
- “Strategic Growth Site 3c – East Chelmsford – Land South of Maldon Road (Residential)”
- “Strategic Growth Site 3d – East Chelmsford – Land North of Maldon Road (Residential)”
The sites form three of the four Strategic Growth Sites, which make up the East Chelmsford allocation in the new Local Plan. The fourth Strategic Growth Site 3a, Manor Farm, is being developed by a separate site promoter.
Consultation and next steps
The Local Plan classifies these sites as Strategic Growth Sites. This means we must approve the developer’s masterplan before they can make a formal planning application.
You can download the masterplan.
Some parts of these documents feature detailed information and are large in size. You may find it easier to download and view these documents on a desktop computer, rather than on a smartphone or tablet.
The consultation closed on Friday 22 January 2021.
Chelmsford Policy Board will now consider the masterplan at the Policy Board meeting on 4 March 2021.
You can also view our new Local Plan.