Our new Local Plan will help shape future growth and development in Chelmsford until 2036.
Chelmsford Garden Village is part of our new Local Plan. The site will create a community of around 10,000 new homes and include new employment opportunities in north-east Chelmsford.
The Garden Village will build on the success of the recent Beaulieu and Channels developments, which were part of our Local Development Framework.
Beaulieu and Channels have already delivered a neighbourhood centre and linear park. It also has Essex’s first all-through school for 5-18 years and the Beaulieu express bus service into the city centre.
In addition to new homes, Chelmsford Garden Village will also include:
- 45,000 sqm of employment floorspace
- a new country park
- walking and cycling routes
- expansion of Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)
- part of the Chelmsford North East Bypass
- a new Radial Distributer Road (RDR2)
- neighbourhood centres with community spaces
- a second new secondary school
- two further new primary schools
- early years and childcare nursery provision
- new multi-functional green infrastructure
- nine travelling showpeople plots
Chelmsford Garden Village is a joint project between:
- Countryside Zest
- Columbia Threadneedle
- Ptarmigan Land