Chelmsford City Council

Check if CIL applies

Developments will be liable for CIL if they:

  • add 100 square metres or more of new floorspace (including new and replacement buildings and extensions to buildings)   
  • are residential properties that are either a new build or converted, regardless of their size (not including converting a single house into two or more separate houses)
  • are the conversion or change of use of a building that has not been used for a period of time 
  • are commenced under general consent (including permitted development rights granted under the General Permitted Development Order 1995)

To check if you need to pay the CIL charge, you should submit a CIL Additional Requirements Form when you submit your planning application.

In 2014, we set our Charging Schedule for different types of development. Each year since then, we have increased the charge using an index of inflation.

The charges for 2022 are:

  • £174.37 per square metre for Residential C3

  • £209.24 per square metre for Retail A1

  • £121.36 per square metre for Retail other

We are able to grant relief or exemptions from CIL. You can check if you are  eligible for relief or an exemption from CIL on the Planning Portal.

If you have a residential extension which is over 100m2 of proposed gross internal floorspace, you will be CIL liable unless:

  • you have an ownership interest
  • you occupy the house as your main residence 

    Mandatory field

    Is there something wrong with this page?
    Last updated: 20 December 2021

    Go to: