Chelmsford City Council

Chelmsford, along with the rest of England, is now in lockdown until further notice. You can find out what this means and get other useful information on our coronavirus updates page.

Submit your application

You must continue to notify us when you reach the different stages of work in accordance with your Inspection Service Plan. You can read more on our coronavirus updates page.

You need to supply the correct documents when you make your application. The type of documents will depend on the type of application you are making.

Full plans

For a full plans application, you need to submit:

  • one copy of the application form
  • copies of the architectural drawings and construction specification
      • two copies for residential properties
      • three copies for non-residential properties
  • the correct payment for the work you are carrying out


Building notice

For a building notice, you need to submit:

  • one copy of the application form
  • a plan of the site if you are building a new house or extension, showing its size and position
  • the correct payment for the work you are carrying out


Regularisation (approval for work already complete)

You can apply for regularisation if:

  • you are the owner of the property
  • the building work started on or after 11 November 1985

As part of your application, you will have to:

  • pay a building control fee
  • allow a site inspection

You may have to: 

  • submit professionally prepared plans
  • expose internal structures or create trial holes
  • carry out remedial work

We will only issue a certificate of regularisation once the building work complies with building regulations.

For regularisation of unauthorised works, you need to submit:

  • one copy of the application form
  • a plan of the site
  • the correct payment for regularisation

 A certificate of regularisation does not give you retrospective planning permission, and you may need to apply for this as well. 

Apply now

You can make all building control applications online, and you will need to provide the correct supporting documents for your application type.

If you submit the wrong form or any documents are missing, your application will not be valid. This will delay the application process, meaning it will take much longer for you to receive approval.

If you are unable to complete your building control application online, you can submit your application by post. 

You can view a full list of building control application forms and a checklist of required documents, and print what you need.

You can also make a building notice application for domestic work by calling us on 01245 606431, and requesting our Kwik App phone service. 

We will ask for the information we need for your application over the phone, then process it in the next two working days. 

You can download our Kwik App guidance for more information, and to check what you need to make your application by phone. 

Mandatory field

Is there something wrong with this page
Last updated: 04 September 2020

Go to: