Chelmsford City Council

Apply for a temporary road closure

1. Street parties and special events

You can apply for a temporary road closure if you are holding a street party or special event and want to close the road.

The application process and requirements are different for street parties and for special events.


Street parties

Your event is a street party if:

  • it's only for neighbours and residents

  • you only publicise it to residents

  • it's taking place in a quiet residential street

  • you are organising it yourself

You don't need insurance for street parties, and you will not need a licence if music is incidental and you are not selling anything. If you do want to sell anything, have a bar or provide entertainment, you will need to apply for a Temporary Event Notice.

You should only hold a street party during daylight hours.

Special events

Your event is not a street party and is a special event if:

  • it's a parade, procession or social gathering

  • anyone can attend

  • you widely publicise it, such as in the newspaper

  • a professional organiser is arranging it

You will need insurance for a special event, and will probably need a licence. You will also need to arrange traffic diversion signs.

You will be responsible for the safety of the event, including the safe closure of the roads.

    Mandatory field

    Is there something wrong with this page

    Go to: