Car parks covered by this agreement
- Baddow Road Car Park, Chelmsford (P&D)
- Coval Lane Car Park, Chelmsford (P&D)
- Fairfield Road Car Park, Chelmsford (P&D)
- Glebe Road Car Park, Chelmsford (P&D)
- High Chelmer Car Park, Chelmsford (PoF)
- Meadows Retail Car Park, Chelmsford (PoF)
- Meadows Surface Car Park, Chelmsford (P&D)
- Moulsham Street Car Park, Chelmsford (P&D)
- Parkway Car Park, Chelmsford (P&D)
- Rectory Lane East Car Park, Chelmsford (P&D)
- Rectory Lane West Car Park, Chelmsford (P&D)
- Regina Road Car Park, Chelmsford (P&D)
- Riverside Car Park, Chelmsford (P&D)
- Townfield Street Car Park, Chelmsford (PoF)
- Waterhouse Lane Car Park, Chelmsford (P&D)
- Waterloo Lane 1 Car Park, Chelmsford (P&D)
- Waterloo Lane 2 Car Park, Chelmsford (P&D)
- Waterloo Lane 3 Car Park, Chelmsford (P&D)
- West End Car Park, Chelmsford (P&D)
- West End Business Car Park, Chelmsford
1. Pay and Display (P&D) car parks
(a) We manage Pay and Display car parks under a Traffic Management Order (TRO) made under the Road Traffic Act 1984. You can contact us to view a copy of this TRO.
(b) You cannot use a Pay and Display car park for the following unless you agree it with us in advance:
- washing or servicing vehicles
- erecting any tent, booth or other structure
(c) We may remove any abandoned vehicle and move it to a safe place and eventually dispose of it. If you own the vehicle, you will be responsible for paying any costs for release, removal, storage and disposal.
(d) You can only park in a Pay and Display car park during the advertised opening hours.
(e) You can only park the following in a Pay and Display car park:
- motor cars (including electric cars)
- motorcycles (including electric motorcycles)
- invalid carriages
(f) You cannot park caravans, trailers, coaches or lorries in a Pay and Display car park.
(g) You must pay when you arrive at the car park and before you leave your vehicle (this includes paying by phone). If you intend to stay longer, you must buy an additional Pay and Display ticket or extend the time on your digital ticket. You do not need to pay if you have a valid permit or season ticket.
(h) In West End Car Park, you cannot return within one hour of the expiry time of any purchased stay.
(i) You cannot transfer Pay and Display tickets between vehicles or between car parks.
(j) If a car park machine is out of order, you must use the nearest alternative machine or create a digital ticket for your stay.
2. Pay on Foot (PoF) car parks
(a) You must pay when you return to your vehicle and before you leave the car park (this includes paying at the barrier). If you have lost your ticket, you will need to report this by pressing the ‘help’ button on the pay station for further information. You will be charged £18 for a lost ticket. You do not need to pay if you have a valid permit or season ticket.
(b) If you experience problems with the pay station or require assistance, you should contact us by pressing the ‘help’ button on the pay station.
3. Blue Badge holders
(a) You can only park in a Blue Badge bay if you display a valid Blue Badge. The named person whose photograph appears on the badge must be either a driver or passenger in the car at the time of parking.
(b) If you are displaying a valid Blue Badge, you can park for free for the first three hours. You should contact us by pressing the ‘help’ button on the pay station if you have your Blue Badge with you. If not, you should return and collect your disabled badge from your vehicle and then go to nearest pay station to validate your ticket. If the Blue Badge holder is not in your vehicle, you may not be able to park in a Blue Badge bay.
4. Parking fines (Penalty Charge Notices)
(a) You may receive a parking fine (Penalty Charge Notice or PCN) if you:
- don’t buy a valid ticket
- don’t park within the marked bays
- overstay the expiry time for your stay or the maximum period allowed in the car park
- park in a Blue Badge bay without clearly displaying a valid Blue Badge and time clock
- park in a permit bay reserved for designated users
- park and cause an obstruction
- park a vehicle which is over the maximum height, weight or length limits allowed
- park a vehicle in a car park not designated for that class of vehicle
- use a vehicle in a car park in connection with buying, offering or selling goods
(b) If a PCN has been issued to your vehicle, you must pay within 28 days from the date of issue. We will accept a discounted charge if you pay within the first 14 days or issue. Our Civil Enforcement Officers (CEOs) cannot revoke a PCN once they have issued one. You must appeal a PCN in writing to the address on the reverse of the PCN.
(c) If you contravene any of the provisions of the Traffic Management Order, you may receive a PCN. If you don’t pay a PCN, you may be issued with a Charge Certificate against the vehicle owner. This will then result in a charge for recovery under a County Court Order.
5. Release of vehicles after closing time
(a) We operate a call-out service to release locked in vehicles between closing and re-opening a car park. You will be charged £50 for this call-out service. To arrange a call-out, you should call 01245 606299.
6. Our liabilities
(a) We don’t accept liability in respect of any loss, destruction, damage or theft from any vehicle. This does not include when this is caused by negligence, wilful act or default, or breach of our statutory duty.
(b) We don’t accept liability in respect of the death or personal injury sustained by customers and others in the car park. This does not include when this is caused by negligence, wilful act or default, or breach of our statutory duty.
7. Further advice
(a) If you require any other assistance or advice on using our car parks, you should contact us.
8. Data Protection Declaration
(a) We are a Data Controller for the purposes of data protection legislation. All personal information is held and processed in accordance with this. You can refer to our Privacy Notices published on our website at chelmsford.gov.uk/privacy for details. You can contact us if you need the privacy notice in an alternative format.