Chelmsford City Council

Walk leader area

If you can't cover a walk you are scheduled to lead, you need to contact walk leaders from your contact sheet to find cover. If you cannot find cover, you need to call the office.

You should not inform walkers that the walk is cancelled until you have checked the rota again. We may have been able to find a replacement walk leader.

If you volunteer as a reserve, you will need to lead the walk if the original walk leader is not available. The leader or back leader will contact you if you need to lead the walk in their place.

Walks and the weather

If you are the walk leader, you need to attend the walk even if you think the weather will stop walkers attending.

You can then cancel the walk, and tell the walkers who have attended that conditions are not suitable. We advise that you check for weather warnings where it may warn not to go out in excessive heat or storms. You can visit the  Met Office webpage for more information.

The exception to this is severe snow and ice, when you can cancel the walk without attending.


At the beginning of each walk you lead, you need to:

  • provide new walkers with registration forms, and collect their completed forms
  • take a register of walkers

You need to send us your paperwork by the 7th of the next month. For example, we need all of the paperwork for walks that took place in January by 7 February.

You need to use the most recent version of the paperwork. We will send you new paperwork each quarter, but you can also download the:    

We will also send you freepost labels each quarter, so you can return the paperwork free of charge.

If your run out of freepost labels or any of the paperwork, you can contact us to ask for more.

You must destroy any old registration forms you have, as we can't use them following the introduction of the new GDPR laws. Instead, you should use the new form above.

Reporting an accident

Accidents don't happen regularly on the Heart and Sole walks. However, if there is an accident that results in injury, or a near miss that nearly results in injury, you need to:

  • complete the walking for health accident form when the accident happens, with the person who has, or nearly had, the injury
  • return the form with the register as soon as possible after the incident/accident occurring

If the accident is serious and needs immediate medical attention, you should call 999.

To report an issue with a footpath, pavement or road you need to contact  Essex Highways

Walk leader meetings

The dates for the walk leader meetings are:

  • Friday 14 February 2020  

  • Friday 15 May 2020

  • Friday 21 August 2020

All meetings will run from 1pm to 4pm in the Marconi Room at the Civic Centre, unless otherwise stated.


Volunteer resources

You can look at Walking Health for information about volunteering and leading walks.  

Maps to download for standard walking routes:  


Friends of Heart and Sole Documents

If you would like us to post you a copy of the new Friends of Heart and Sole Constitution or Memorandum of Understanding, you need to contact us. 

You can also download the Friends of Heart and Sole Constitution 2019.

    Mandatory field

    Is there something wrong with this page

    Go to: