Without our volunteer walk leaders, the Heart and Sole programme would not be possible.
The main skill we need from our volunteer walk leaders is an enthusiasm for walking and its benefits.
You don't need any particular experience, but we love our leaders to:
- be friendly and welcoming
- have good communication skills
- be reliable, punctual and well organised
- be confident at speaking in front of small groups
- be able to take control
- be assertive when needed
- be observant and sensitive to the needs of others
Our walk leaders act as either a front leader, a middle marker or back marker during the walks. They make sure that everyone is on route, and comfortable with the pace.
If you are interested in volunteering as a walk leader, you can contact us.
The next walk leader course is on Thursday 13 September 2018 at the Civic Centre, Chelmsford.
As a walk leader, you will need to:
- attend any walk prior to training so we can meet you to find out about you and you can find out about the scheme
- complete one day walk leader training course, a shadow and support lead walk as a leader
- complete and return the paperwork for the walks you are involved with
- encourage and motivate walkers to attend regularly
- adhere to the health and safety guidelines and safeguarding measures
- attend quarterly walk leader meetings at the Civic Centre
You can volunteer once a month, or more frequently if you want to.
All walks are no longer than 90 minutes. You will need to arrive 15 minutes before the start of the walk to register walkers. You will also need to be available at the end of the walk to answer questions and encourage socialising.
You will receive support as a walk leader, but we do not cover any expenses.