To celebrate Ride London, one of the UK's biggest cycling festivals, we are organising events to help the whole family get on their bikes.
Our Family Cycling Taster Day takes place in Central park on Saturday 29 April 2023 from 10.30am to 2.30pm.
If you would like to attend this event, you need to book in advance to secure your place.
Meet us on the tennis court and multi-sport Adizone area by the viaduct and choose from a range of activities, including:
- Come and Try Balance Bikes for two to five year olds (bikes and helmets provided or use your own)
- Introduction to Learn to ride courses for children (bikes and helmets provided or use your own)
- Introduction to Learn to ride courses for adults (bikes and helmets provided or use your own)
- Family bike rides led by experienced instructors (adult and child bikes available to use, with some helmets available)
- Adult-only ride led by experienced instructors (adult bikes available to use, with some helmets available)
- Bike workshops, where you can learn to fix/maintain your own bike
You can also learn more about local cycling groups, and Explore Chelmsford, a collection of family-friendly cycle routes around Chelmsford.
The Ride London Cycle Festival will take place at Writtle College Sports Ground, Fox Burrows Lane Writtle on Sunday 28 May from 10am to 3.30pm.
The event is free and you do not have to book tickets.
We are still finalising the programme of activities, but we hope to offer:
- tours of the lab at Writtle Performance Centre, including Come and Try sessions using their Watt Bikes and other equipment
- Come and Try sessions for cyclo cross, roller racing, grass track racing
- an opportunity to meet coaches and members of local cycling clubs
- Radical Bikes Trials and jump demonstration and Come and Try activities
- music on site
- Smoothie Bike, where you can make your own fruit smoothies
- bouncy castles
The festival site is also next to the Ride London route, so is ideal for spectators. Refreshments and snacks will be available on site, or you can visit the nearby Tiptree Tea Room.
We Ride: A Family Bike Ride
We have also arranged with the London Marathon Events to run a family bike ride.
This will allow a limited number of up to 200 people to cycle from the festival and join the closed road circuit to ride alongside the Ride London participants for part of the route, towards the end of the day.
If you'd like to take part in the ride, you will need to book.
Getting to the festival
You will not be able to access to the cycle festival by car. You will need to access the site by bike or on foot. There is a convenient cycle path from the event along Fox Burrows Lane to central Chelmsford.