Chelmsford City Council

Report an empty home

Report now

Empty homes can become a target for crime, cause problems for neighbours and attract pests.

We only deal with empty residential properties that are used as homes.

If you think a property is empty, you can report it to us.

If you own a home which is empty, you can tell us and we can give you some advice about what you can do.

To report an empty home, you will need:

  • your name, address and contact details
  • details of the property, including how long it has been empty
  • details of the concerns you have about the property

We bring empty homes back into use by: 

  • contacting the owner and giving them advice
  • monitoring social and publicly owned properties
  • providing loans to improve properties so they can be lived in again
  • offering a Homes 2 Lease scheme so landlords can find tenants quickly and easily
  • taking enforcement action if all other options have failed

    Mandatory field

    Is there something wrong with this page
    Last updated: 13 May 2021

    Go to: