To find a property to rent, you can look:
- in local newspapers
- in local shops or estate agents
- on the internet
For information about renting privately, you can look at GOV.UK.
Deposit Guarantee Scheme
When you find a property to rent, you will have to pay your landlord a deposit before you can move in.
We offer a Deposit Guarantee Scheme, to help you rent privately if you can’t afford to pay a deposit.
Instead of you paying the landlord a cash deposit, we provide them with a written deposit bond. The bond guarantees your landlord one month’s rent to cover any damage or cleaning (beyond normal wear and tear) at the end of your tenancy.
You can apply for the Deposit Guarantee Scheme if you:
- have a local connection to Chelmsford
- qualify to join the Housing Register
- can afford to pay rent, either through wages or benefits
- can’t afford to pay the deposit yourself
You can’t apply for the Deposit Guarantee Scheme if you:
- owe us money
- have been evicted for anti-social behaviour or rent arrears
- have enough money to pay the deposit yourself
- are already in a housing association property or suitable accommodation
Once we receive your application, we will:
If we approve your application, you will need to find your own property with a landlord who will accept our written deposit bond.
Once you find a landlord who will accept our written deposit bond, we will:
- organise a sign-up date with you and your landlord to complete all the paperwork
- provide your landlord with the written deposit bond