We are currently reviewing our Housing Allocations Policy, and want to make changes so that the policy:
reflects the current demand for accommodation in the Chelmsford area
prioritises accommodation to the people that need it most
better manages the expectations of people on the Housing Register
Cabinet approved our proposed changes to the policy at their meeting on 3 July 2018.
We are now holding a final consultation to gather your feedback on the new policy.
Aims of the policy
The aims of the policy are to:
- be simple, fair, transparent and understandable, and have due regard to the prevailing circumstances in the city
- help applicants make informed, realistic decisions about their future housing prospects, and to better manage their expectations
- minimise applications from households with little to no realistic chance of successfully finding a home through the Housing Register
- ensure that applicants who can afford to find their own housing independently are expected to do so
- promote the effective use of the housing stock made available from registered providers
- reduce the use of emergency and temporary accommodation for homeless applicants
- promote homelessness prevention by prioritising applicants who are threatened with homelessness
- incentivise applicants to seek employment if they are able to work
- encourage active participation for those able to bid using Choice Based Lettings
- maximise the availability of lettings to applicants with a well-established local connection to Chelmsford
Download the policy
You can download our:
You can also download our new Tenancy Strategy, which supports the Housing Allocations Policy.
Taking part in the consultation
If you would like to provide feedback on the new Housing Allocations Policy or the Tenancy Strategy, you can contact us.
The consultation will close at 4pm on Tuesday 25 September. We will not consider any comments we receive after this.
Once the consultation has closed, we will consider the comments. Cabinet will then review the new policy later this year, and we will adopt it once they have approved it.