Chelmsford City Council


If you are at risk of losing your home, you need to seek advice as soon as possible. We are often able to help people to stay in their homes.

You can:

If you are at risk of becoming homeless within the next 8 weeks, we will help you try to prevent it.

We will assess your situation and then work with you to draw up a Personal Housing Plan. Your Personal Housing Plan sets out reasonable steps you can take to stop you from becoming homeless. It also sets what we will do and what other agencies can do to help you. 

You can read the Shelter guide for more information on Personal Housing Plans

We can also give you advice if you:

  • have missed rent payments and are in rent arrears (debt)
  • are having problems with your tenancy
  • are about to be evicted
  • can’t afford your mortgage repayments
  • are living with family or friends and they have asked you to leave
  • are experiencing domestic abuse

If you are legally homeless, we have a duty to assess your situation and give you a Personal Housing Plan, which sets out reasonable steps to help you find somewhere to live.

However, we do not have a duty to provide emergency accommodation to everyone who becomes homeless. 

We will treat you as legally homeless if you:

  • have no legal right to live in accommodation anywhere in the world
  • can’t get into your home, for example your landlord has locked you out
  • can’t reasonably to stay in your home, for example you are at risk of violence or abuse
  • are forced to live apart from your family or people you normally live with because there is no suitable accommodation for you
  • are living in accommodation that is in a very poor condition, including overcrowding

If you live permanently in the UK, you will be eligible for help. If you are from abroad, your immigration status will affect your eligibility. Shelter’s guide on housing rights helps you work out if you’re eligible for assistance and what you’re entitled to. 

If you’re 16 or 17 and homeless, we will work with  Essex County Council Health and Social Care and make a joint assessment.

For emergency accommodation and support, you can visit:

You can download our Homeless Services Guide to view a map and contact details of other support agencies.

Mandatory field

Is there something wrong with this page

Go to:

You are here »Home»Housing»Homelessness