Chelmsford City Council

Hackney carriages

Due to coronavirus, we have made some changes to the application processes for licences. We are also now only accepting payments for licences over the phone. You can read more about the changes we have made.

You will need a hackney carriage licence if you own or drive a hackney carriage (taxi).

Customers can hire hackney carriages from designated taxi ranks or hail them on the street.

You also need a driver licence.

The same authority needs to issue the hackney carriage licence and the driver licence.

To operate in Chelmsford, both of the licences need to be from us. Therefore, if you have a hackney carriage licence from us, you will also need a driver licence from us.

When you licence your vehicle for the first time, it must be:

  • side loading
  • less than a year old

  • first registered in your name

  • black in colour

  • wheelchair accessible

To apply for a hackney carriage licence, you need to contact us.

We will provide an application form, which you need to complete and return to us with the fee of £527 and the supporting documents.

For this licence, the supporting documents you will need are:

  • a completed proprietorship requisition form

  • the original certificate of your insurance cover, which must include cover for public hire

  • a mechanical inspection certificate

  • your log book or bill of sale for the vehicle

Once we receive your application, we will:

  • acknowledge it within three days

  • check that your application and paperwork is correct

  • arrange to view the vehicle

  • issue your licence


Renew your licence

Your hackney carriage licence will be valid for one year from the date we granted it.

You need to renew your licence every year, before the current licence expires.

The renewal fee is £371.

Once we receive your renewal application, we will arrange to view the vehicle, then notify you of our decision.



We regulate the fare you can charge your customers, and you can check the amounts.


Inspections and MOTs

Your vehicle needs to have an inspection every six months, and pass an MOT annually.

You can book a taxi inspection or MOT for your vehicle at our Freighter House test centre.

    Mandatory field

    Is there something wrong with this page
    Last updated: 19 March 2020

    Go to: