Chelmsford City Council

Licensing a House in Multiple Occupancy

Some Houses in Multiple Occupation need a licence. You can check GOV.UK to find out which HMOs need a licence.

If you are a landlord and your property is a House in Multiple Occupation, you can check GOV.UK for how to apply, renew or change your licence.

If your application is successful, we will add you to the HMO Public Register.


Licence fees

The fee for an HMO with up to five units of accommodation is £900.

The fee for HMOs with more than five units is £900 for the first five units, plus £55 for each additional unit.

For example, the fee for an eight unit HMO is £1,065. This is made up of £900 for the first five units, then three additional units at £55 each, giving £165. 


HMO standards

If we grant your licence, you will need to ensure that your property meets the standards we have set for HMOs in the Chelmsford area.

You can download our:

You can find more information and guidance about housing and HMOs on the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health.


Report a suspected HMO

If you think people are living in an HMO that doesn't have a licence, you can report it to us.

    Mandatory field

    Is there something wrong with this page

    Go to: