Chelmsford City Council

Tables and chairs

Download application form

You need a licence if you want to place tables and chairs on the public highway outside your café or restaurant.

To apply for a licence, you need to:

The fees are:

  • £827.80 for new licence applications

  • £263.20 for licence renewals 

Once we receive your application, we will:

  • acknowledge it within five working days

  • visit the site to survey the area

  • send consultation letters and ask for comments from:

        • Essex County Council Highways

        • our planning and building control teams

        • our environmental team

        • our legal and democratic team

        • our City Centre Manager

        • our financial team

        • Essex County Council Legal Services

        • the Licensing Section of Essex Police

  • send letters to neighbouring shops and properties

  • put up site notices

  • allow people to make representations or objections to the application

If we do not receive any representations or objections, we will grant the licence. If we do receive any representations or objections, we will consider them and decide whether or not to grant the licence.

If we grant your licence, we will send you two copies which you need to sign and return to us. We will also sign both copies, then we will send one back to you.

We will then install studs to show the boundary of the area where you can place tables and chairs.

After we have granted the licence, we will monitor your café or restaurant to make sure you are complying with the terms of the licence.

Your licence is valid for one year, from 31 March to 1 April, regardless of when we grant it.

You will need to renew your licence on 1 April each year.

    Mandatory field

    Is there something wrong with this page

    Go to: