Chelmsford City Council

Coronavirus guidance for licensing

Due to coronavirus, we have made some changes to the way we process licences.

On this page you will find information about these changes and other helpful advice.

You can view our coronavirus help and guidance for businesses and employers for details of Business Rates changes, business support grants and other advice.

The government has not announced any relief for businesses (during coronavirus) for the annual fee for premises licences.

Therefore, you must still pay the annual fee for premises licences to avoid suspension of the licence.

If we intend to suspend the licence because we haven't received an annual fee payment, we will notify you in writing.

The notice will state the date the suspension will take effect. The law allows us some discretion to specify a date, allowing more time for you to pay the fee.

The government has introduced new, temporary guidance for pavement licences. 

This will help you provide food and drink whilst social distancing measures remain in place. 

Find out how to apply for a pavement licence.

The government has extended the terms of some premises licences that only permit the sale of alcohol, for consumption on the premises. 

The extension will allow the sale of alcohol for consumption off the premises. This is an off-sale. 

Find out what steps you need to take to start making off-sales.

Latest update

If you are giving a Temporary Event Notice, new legislation may prevent the event from going ahead. This could happen at very short notice.

Your event might not be able go ahead because of local or national restrictions needed to control the spread of coronavirus. This is despite any agreement with a responsible authority. This is also regardless of whether you have completed a coronavirus risk assessment.

The Temporary Event Notice fee you have paid is non-refundable.


Due to the current restrictions around events and large gatherings, the responsible authority for Environmental Health may request evidence that your event will take place in a ‘Covid Secure’ environment.

If the Environmental Health authority don't receive the evidence or if they have cause for concern, they may object to the event taking place. This is likely to be on the grounds of undermining public safety or public nuisance.

We would suggest you complete a coronavirus risk assessment for your event. This will help your event progress without delay or a possible hearing.

You can contact us for advice on completing a risk assessment by emailing

We will also ask you how you will support the NHS track and track process.

If the Environmental Health authority have not have made an objection notice, your event still may not go ahead because of national or local restrictions needed to control incidents or the spread of coronavirus. This action may be taken by Essex County Council or the Secretary of State.

Guidance for passengers and drivers

We have produced some coronavirus safety guidance for taxi and private hire vehicle drivers and passengers.

You can view our coronavirus safety guidance for:

You can look on GOV.UK to:


Mandatory field

Is there something wrong with this page
Last updated: 03 June 2021

Go to: