The City of Chelmsford - A great opportunity
Chelmsford is superbly situated in the heart of Essex, and is one of the fastest growing centres for commerce in the east of England. The city has a highly skilled workforce, competitive costs and an enviable quality of life. These factors help make Chelmsford an excellent place to work and grow your business.
Chelmsford offers great transport connections by:
- rail: you can reach London by rail in only 30 minutes with a fast and frequent train service.
- road: over 20% of the UK’s population are within an hour’s drive of Chelmsford.
- air: the city is close to Stansted, Southend and London City airports, meaning you can access it easily from many major European and international cities.
Chelmsford boasts that it:
- contributes over £3 billion per year to the Essex economy
- has the largest business base in Essex
- has the highest business start-up rate in the county
- is the base for around 12,000 businesses
- has some 83,000 jobs based in city
- has an unemployment rate of just over 1%
- has lower labour and property costs compared to London.
Highly skilled workforce
Chelmsford is brimming with talent. It can offer businesses like yours:
- a productive and qualified workforce
- 34% of working-age residents educated to at least degree level
- fresh new talent every year with two rapidly expanding universities and excellent educational institutions
- high levels of educational attainment, with over 82% of secondary school pupils achieving five or more A* to C grades at GCSE level
Investing in infrastructure
Chelmsford is not a city to rest on its laurels. Together, local and national government, developers and other organisations are investing heavily in strategic infrastructure to support the city’s growth.
- £8 million invested by train company Abellio in the city’s rail station, with a new rail station planned for the north east of Chelmsford.
- £15 million pledged by ECC to improve the city’s roads, cycling and public transport over the next two years.
- A £500 million investment by Highways England to widen the A12 between Chelmsford and Colchester.
Unrivalled quality of life
Not only is Chelmsford a modern and inspiring place to work, it also has plenty on offer to keep its growing population happy. Residents of Chelmsford can enjoy:
- stunning Essex countryside
- over 20 award-winning parks and green spaces
- a city packed with history
- an outstanding cultural events programme
- premier shopping experiences
- a wide variety of restaurants and cafes
- first-class sports facilities
The City of Chelmsford: A great opportunity