Becoming a trader at the High Street market
Would you like to try a new business venture? Does the sound of becoming your own boss seem attractive? Why not try out your business ideas at one of Chelmsford's markets?
Chelmsford High Street Market
There are several areas in the city which have been designated as 'consent' streets for the purposes of street trading. Street trading (i.e. sale of goods and services) on these streets is not permitted unless a consent to trade has been granted by the Council.
The Chelmsford High Street market takes place every Friday and Saturday (excluding Christmas Day and on special event days across the year).
All traders will be expected to:
- Have valid public liability insurance for £5m (for more advice visit the National Market Trader Federation website)
- Not leave any rubbish on site
- Fully comply with Environmental Health standards both on the stall on the High St and during preparation on their own premises
- Never leave stalls unattended
- Provide the highest level of product knowledge and customer service
Please note that space is very limited in the High Street and there is currently a waiting list.
Costs vary according to the size of the stall and the day the market is running:
Gourmet Food Fair - Every Friday
- £40 which includes a stall (16 foot wide, 5 foot deep, 7 foot high) being provided, erected and taken down by Chelmsford City Council
- £30 for a trailer or stall you would like to bring along and set up yourself with prior health & safety and size approval from Chelmsford City Council
Saturday High Street Market - Every Saturday
- £80 which includes a stall (16 foot wide, 5 foot deep, 7 foot high) being provided, erected and taken down by Chelmsford City Council
- £70 for a trailer or stall you would like to bring along and set up yourself with prior health & safety and size approval from Chelmsford City Council
If you would like to apply to trade in the High Street please complete and submit the Street Trading Consent Form online (see button on right).
To discuss your application with the market manager, please call 01245 605717.
The market always welcomes responsible traders who can add a little something extra to the market.
All a casual trader needs to set up a stall is some stock, third party public liability insurance and a day's rent. Prices vary, but can be as low as £9.50; the average is £20 including VAT, depending on size and location. New traders may also be eligible for a reduced hire charge for a limited time period of six weeks. Stalls can be rented on a 'pay-as-you-go' basis. If a trader operates responsibly, there may be the opportunity to become a regular trader. Charity stalls are also very welcome.
For more information please telephone the market manager on 01245 605717.