North Chelmsford: Beaulieu
Mixed use development comprising residential development of up to 3,600 dwellings, mixed uses (up to 62,300sqm gross) comprising employment floorspace including new business park, retail, hotel, leisure, open space, education and community facilities, landscaping, new highways including a radial distributor road, public transport provisions and associated and ancillary development, including full details in respect of roundabout access from Essex Regiment Way and a priority junction from White Hart Lane.
Update 12 March 2014
The S106 Agreement has been completed and the planning permission was granted on 7th March 2014.
Update 3 February 2014
Countryside Zest has submitted a full application for planning permission in respect of Zone D (Residential); details as follows:-
- 13/01872/FUL - Greater Beaulieu Park Zone D White Hart Lane Springfield
Development of Zone D – Construction of 49 houses (1 two bed, 18 three beds, 20 four beds and 10 five beds) with associated infrastructure, servicing, landscaping, 134 parking spaces, felling of walnut tree (TPO 139/2008) mitigation and public open space.
The application has been submitted as a full application, at this stage, however, the applicant anticipates converting the application to a reserved matters submission, if during consideration and before determination of these applications, the S106 Agreement is completed and the outline planning permission granted. The full planning application fully accords with the principles of the draft outline planning permission.
Further applications for residential development within Zones B and C and the neighbourhood centre will be submitted this year.
Update 18 December 2013
Countryside Zest has submitted three full applications for planning permission for (i) the first phase of the estate road to service the western part of the Greater Beaulieu Park scheme extending northwards from the new junction constructed on White Hart Lane (Phase 1A Road Infrastructure – 13/01728/FUL), (ii) the second phase of the estate road linking the Phase 1A road to the permitted roundabout on Essex Regiment Way (Phase 1B Road Infrastructure – 13/01729/FUL) and (iii) 184 dwellings within an area north of the combined secondary and primary school site (Zone A – 13/01795/FUL).
- 13/01728/FUL - Greater Beaulieu Park Phase 1A White Hart Lane Springfield
Construction of Phase 1A road, associated infrastructure, surface water drainage (SuDs), two electrical substations, landscaping and servicing from White Hart Lane (13/00074/FUL) to serve proposed Beaulieu residential-led mixed use scheme.
- 13/01729/FUL - Greater Beaulieu Park Phase 1B White Hart Lane Springfield
Construction of Phase 1B road with access road and drainage links to serve future foul pumping station, associated infrastructure, surface water drainage (SuDs), two electrical substations, 19 lay-by parking spaces, landscaping and servicing from approved four arm roundabout on Essex Regiment Way (13/00074/FUL) to serve proposed Beaulieu residential-led mixed use scheme.
- 13/01795/FUL - Greater Beaulieu Park Zone A White Hart Lane Springfield
Development of Zone A Beaulieu Park – Construction of 184 houses and apartments (4 one beds, 45 two beds, 65 three beds, 60 four beds and 10 five beds) with associated infrastructure, servicing, landscaping, 464 parking spaces and public open space.
The applications have been submitted as full applications, at this stage, however, the applicant anticipates converting these applications to reserved matters submissions, if during consideration and before determination of these applications, the S106 Agreement is completed and the outline planning permission granted. The full planning applications fully accord with the principles of the draft outline planning permission. A further application for 49 dwellings within an area west of existing Beaulieu Park – Albemarle Link (Zone D) is expected before Christmas/early January.
Collectively the applications form part of Phase 1 of the new neighbourhood; further applications for residential development within Zones B and C and the neighbourhood centre will be submitted next year.
A further report was considered by the Planning Committee on 17 September 2013; this concerned revisions to the Heads of Terms for the legal agreement in relation to the delivery of the railway station, affordable housing and the compensatory measures east of the carriage drive.
Members resolved that the application be delegated to the Director of Sustainable Communities to grant the planning permission once the applicant has entered into a legal agreement -
Update 26 June 2013
A further report was considered by the Planning Committee on 28 May 2013 following receipt of additional information for the scheme and reconsultation/notifications.
Again it was resolved that the application delegated to the Director of Sustainable Communities to grant the planning permission once the applicants have entered into a legal agreement -
Committee report item 8
29 November 2012
The application was considered at the Planning Committee on 27 November 2012. The Committee decided to approve the application and delegated it to the Director of Sustainable Communities to grant the planning permission once the applicants have entered into a legal (S106) Agreement.
13 November 2012
The application will be considered at a special meeting of the Planning Committee on 27 November 2012 at 7pm in the Marconi Room Civic Centre Chelmsford. This meeting is open to the public, for more information please see Attending Council Meetings.
, for, fo31 August 2012
The application has been amended as follows:-
- Amendment to the Description of Development – The description now makes reference to the submission of full details in respect of the new roundabout access from Essex Regiment Way and the new priority junction from White Hart Lane. A new highway access drawing shows details of the access.
- Radial Distributor Road – Amended proposals for the north-western section of the Radial Distributor Road and the highway access onto Essex Regiment Way. The preferred option (Option A) shows the RDR extending from the Countryside Zest development through land to the north forming part of the Channels application (10/01976/OUT) to connect with the Belsteads Farm Roundabout. The fallback position (Option B) shows a new junction at the north-western corner of the site. A small area of additional housing land is indicated to the south of the bridleway.
- Amendments to the Master Plan and Parameter Plans – The revisions comprise:-
- A repositioned local facility to the north of the new primary school north of New Hall School – see Land Use Parameter Plan.
- Merging of the classification of open land and open space – see Land Use Parameter Plan.
- New building height parameters for the mixed use area to the east of Generals Lane, north of the railway line and for the residential area immediately north and west of New Hall School – see Building Heights Parameter Plan.
- Alterations to the open land, open space and meadows/semi-natural designation of landscape – see Landscape Character Parameter Plan.
- Inclusion of a separate open space plan – see Public Open Space Parameter Plan.
- Area of Old Lodge Park amended on the parameter plans to accord with the illustrative masterplan – see all Plans.
- A revised Design and Access Statement.
Further, the following new documents have accompanied the planning application:-
- Supplementary Statement on the National Planning Policy Framework – The document considers the key relevance of the NPPF (the National Framework which replaced all previous national Planning Policy Statements and Planning Policy Guidance notes).
- Environmental Statement Addendum – The addendum provides a review of the changes to the plans and outlines the environmental impacts of those amendments.
- Reports – Two additional reports, which consider the impact of HGV movements associated with the existing operations at Bulls Lodge Quarry upon proposed residential development in relation to air quality and potential noise complaints.
9 August 2012
The Special Planning Committee arranged for 4 September 2012 has been cancelled as the further amendments to the Parameter Plans and Environmental Statement, which are expected have not yet been submitted. When received this Application Progress site will be updated and there will be an advertisement in the Local Press.
A Special meeting of the Planning Committee will then be arranged and the date posted here as soon as it is known.
3 July 2012
Further amendments to the Parameter Plans and Environmental Statement are expected shortly. These will be advertised in the Local Press.
A Special meeting of the Planning Committee has been arranged for 4 September 2012 to consider both applications. The agenda for that meeting will be published at the latest on 24 August 2012. Once published all parties who have written in will be formally notified of the officer recommendation and procedures at the Committee.
13 March 2012
The application has been amended through revisions to the master plan and the sequence of parameter plans in response to the requirements of the now adopted North Chelmsford Area Action Plan with associated amendments to the Environmental Statement and other supporting documentation. The revisions principally comprise:
- Revised housing layout and a reduction in dwelling numbers from up to 4,000 dwellings to up to 3,600 dwellings,
- New estate road layout,
- A combined primary and secondary school adjacent to a new neighbourhood centre (adjacent White Hart Lane),
- A repositioned additional primary school site (north of New Hall School),
- Revised network of public open space,
- Compensatory measures for New Hall including new planting, meadow and deer park,
- Revised layout for the Business Park and Mixed Use Area with a reduction in the mixed use floor space capacity from up to 69,700sqm gross to 62,300sqm gross; and
- Inclusion of a new radial distributor road (RDR) with various access options to the south-east (Boreham Interchange) and west (Essex Regiment Way).