About Chelmsford Museums
Welcome to Chelmsford Museums!
This service is provided by Chelmsford City Council, and comprises two museums – Chelmsford Museum and the Essex Regiment Museum – set in the Grade 2 listed Victorian Oaklands House in Oaklands Park. Both have been accredited by the Arts Council England. The building was doubled in size in 2009-10 with a modern extension, largely funded by Chelmsford Council. Over 60,000 people visit each year.
Chelmsford Museum dates back to 1835 and has varied displays, including the Story of Chelmsford, Bright Sparks, social history, coins, glass and ceramics, fine art and natural history. Popular exhibits include a live observation beehive, a stuffed Russian brown bear, and a Victorian kitchen. The Essex Regiment Museum, whose collections are owned by separate Trustees, tells the story of the County Regiment from its formation in 1741.
Oaklands Park is also owned and run by Chelmsford Council and has both Green Flag and Green Heritage status, and includes both sports and children’s play facilities.
Chelmsford Museums also runs the Science Learning Centre at Sandford Mill, set in the former waterworks in the heart of the Chelmer Valley, on the outskirts of Chelmsford.
Both sites run an extensive programme of learning events and activities for schools and families.
Meet the staff
Nick Wickenden - Museums Manager
Mark Curteis - Curator of Social History & Art
Geoff Bowles (Sandford Mill) - Curator of Science
Ian Hook - Curator of the Essex Regiment Museum
Ian Leonard - Visitor Services Manager
Yvonne Lawrence - Learning Services Manager